All women who have periods know that they are a pain. However, there are many innovations that can help make it easier. Here are four things you can try.
1. Period panties. These amazing inventions can hold up to two tampons' worth of blood without leaking. You will never fear a leak again, including at night. These are perfect to wear while you are waiting for your period to start, with a tampon during your heavy days, and during the light days at the end. They are lined with antimicrobial materials, some lined with silver, to help with the smell and pull the moisture away from your skin so you won't feel wet. Make sure you rinse them out before you put them in the wash or the blood might stain your other clothes.
2. Menstrual cups. These amazing cups are revolutionizing periods for women all over the world. You simply place one right inside your vagina and it catches the blood. You then remove it, dump the contents into the toilet, wipe it out, and put it back in. These cups
- are better for your body than tampons (less risk of TSS)
- can last up to twelve hours before needing to be dumped out
- are better for the environment since they are reusable month after month
- remove the need to carry extra supplies with you (so they are perfect for hiking and camping)
- don't leak when put in properly
- are cheaper than tampons since one cup costs around $20 and can last for years
There are lots of different kinds, shapes, and sizes. Try a larger size if you have had children and a smaller size if you have not. There is a bit of a learning curve to using them, so don't give up until you have tried it for several months. You may never go back once you figure it out.
3. IUD's. Many women think of these as a form of birth control, but they can also help tremendously with your period. If you have heavy bleeding, talk to your gynecologist about getting one. It may take a few months for your hormones to settle out, but in the long run it can make your periods easier and lighter.
4. Essential oils. There are several oils that can help with cramping and irritability. Rub them on your abdomen or feet for the best results. Try:
- Roman chamomile
- Ylang ylang
- Clary sage
Warm baths with these oils and some epsom salts can also work wonders.
The next time your period comes around, try one (or all) of these four things. You may find that they revolutionize your "time of the month."